'2010" It has to be Positive, and it has to be Simple.




Welcome and thank you for visiting. Relax with a cup of tea or coffee and a few minutes of my simple ramblings. It's a respite you need today!

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Quilting a challenging Challenge


I've hit the work schedule pretty hard this week for a Quilt Challenge due in April. At the end of the display I'll post a picture but for now all I can show are the fabrics I'm using. I spent a good portion of Saturday prepared to cut and sew pieces together only to be challenged by the design I made last weekend. It was just too too much. I needed to incorporate a much simpler element and now that I've accomplished those changes I know I'll be more confident when construction begins tomorrow. I'm way behind schedule, but I think I'll like this plan better. I've entered many challenges before, always reaching to do the best that I can and many times I'm rewarded with only the satisfaction of knowing it's a one of a kind work of art, but with a desire for that elusive ribbon. The ribbons are nice to receive, sort of an "at ta boy", pat on the back kind of thing from quilting peers. My ribbons are curled up in a shoebox. The shoebox is high on a closet shelf. The shoebox only means something to me. The quilts I enter are all over the house. The quilts mean something to not only myself but my family as well. They all know what it takes for me to be completely happy with the end results of my projects. Most of the time they are a patient bunch having to put up with either late meals, poorly planned meals or meals on the fly because I'm in the studio longer than planned. It's just how my kids grew up, and they knew the planning and piecing and cutting and sewing was all a therapy that kept me wrapped a little tighter than I normally would have been. So here are the fabrics that I'm using in the challenge and at the close of the first week of May I'll post a picture of the challenge wallhanging quilt I've entered and if we think positive we'll see a ribbon in the picture. A ribbon that will be put in a shoebox on a high shelf in a closet. A ribbon that will be forgotten by everyone, except me!

Game On 4.5

2 comments:

  1. Debbi, Welcome to Blog Land! I like the idea behind yours.....I think we all long for a simpler life.
    Love the colors you've chosen - knowing how beautiful your work is, there will be another wonderful quilt to add your list! Is this for Retreat?

    Stop by my place sometime!! www.irishlakequilter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey I think I have some of that fabric in the picture!! I'll bookmark you so I can read your adventures in blog land.

    ReplyDelete